22 Dec Tri-Cities News – Wine, Women, and Sport – Jan 7th
Port Moody residents Darcel Moro and Jenn Dawkins are behind Wine, Women and Sport, which will feature a panel discussion of fascinating female athletes moderated by a well-known podcaster to benefit Soroptimist International of Tri-Cities. (Moro and Dawkins previously collaborated on a similar event early this year, with a trail running flick and local craft beer to raise money for Coquitlam Search and Rescue.)
Speakers at the Jan. 7 event include:
• PoMo’s Krista Guloien, an Olympic silver medalist in rowing and author of the recently published book Beyond the Finish Line;
• marathon-running phenom Betty Jean McHugh, who set a world record last year at the age of 88;
• and Michelle Tremblay, a certified second-degree black belt in karate and a bullying prevention trainer.
Interviewing the panel of athletes will be Mary-Jo Dionne, a former Tri-Cities resident who is a writer, speaker and podcaster with a TedX talk to her name.
Dawkins said she and Moro wanted to assemble a panel of accomplished athletes who started in their sports in their later years (McHugh started running in her 50s; Tremblay took up karate in her 30s) and hope attendees are encouraged to also try something new, whatever their age.
They were inspired to organize the event after attending a similar one while competing in Challenge Penticton (formerly the Ironman competition).
And while the panel is all women, the organizers emphasize that all are welcome.
“You do not have to be a woman, love wine or participate in sports,” Moro wrote on the event’s Facebook page. “We invite all who support inspiring and empowering women to be their healthiest, best self.”
The event will include information tables where guests can check out local fitness businesses or events such as yoga, 30-Minute Hit, the Femsport Fitness Challenge and more. It will also feature wines by Township 7, which has vineyards in Langley and the Okanagan.
• Wine, Women and Sport is on Jan. 7 at the Port Moody city hall Galleria from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 at eventbrite.ca and include a souvenir wine glass and first glass of wine; food trucks will also be on hand.
© Copyright 2016 Tri-City News
– See more at: http://www.tricitynews.com/news/inspiration-and-wine-at-sporty-2017-event-1.5202205#sthash.Zt6uUJfc.dpuf